Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Super Tuesday

Super Tuesday has come and gone. On the Republican side a man of honor, Senator John McCain, is leading the pack which is the good news. His followers are Mitt Romney, who appears to be willing to say whatever it takes to get superconservative votes - whether or not he believes what he is saying - and a Southern populist who knows what God wants him to do.

I would be happy if someone would explain these two things. First, how does Mitt Romney, who ran for Senate in Massachusetts and won election, on a pretty left wing platform, as that State's Governor suddenly become the "true conservative" beloved of Coulter, Limbaugh, and the rest of the ugly mob?

And second, did Mr. Huckabee, a Baptist Minister, miss what is written in Mark 12:17 and Matthew 22:21? As a reminder to him, Jesus of Nazareth said: "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's." I recommend that he return to his calling and leave politics for others.

I became disabled in a really ugly automobile wreck. I have been to the edge of the fire and felt the flame. I know what fire feels like. Senator McCain has been through the center of the fire and was tempered not warped. That is one good reason for me to vote for him.

I don't agree with all of his policies but, as long as an honest and honorable man is President, I can live with the disagreement. He has made mistakes - the Keating Five scandal early in his time as a Senator and the Confederate Flag shuffle in the 2000 campaign come to mind - but he is capable of admitting that he was wrong. That's another good reason.

I graduated at the bottom of my class, or very close to it, at the University of Cambridge in England, but have still managed to achieve a few things. Midshipman McCain's performance at the U.S. Naval Academy (graduating 5th from the bottom of his class) makes him my kind of guy.

I will vote for him on Tuesday in the Virginia Primary.

No comments: