Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2008

Read the fine print.

I usually do, but last weekend I didn't. Now I am paying for it.

This is a little thing but, perhaps, typical of the way in which companies save a little here, and a little there, and degrade the value of the product.

I spend a lot of time on the water helping to run, judge and umpire sailboat races. That usually means leaving the dock soon after breakfast and getting back in the late afternoon. Naturally, keeping from being fried by the sun is a priority, so I apply sunscreen liberally before heading out.

In addition to sunscreen, one is wise to protect one's lips. Normally I use Chap Stick (R) which is the name brand and market leader. It works really well.

Last weekend, I had a stick of Lip Salve from Walgreen's drug store. I used it assiduously - before going out, and remembered several repeats during each day, and have wound up with major sun poisoning of my lower lip.

A couple of days ago, I looked at the fine print: Chap Stick has an SPF 15 rating while the Walgreen's knock-off is rated SPF 4. I suppose Walgreen's saves a little money by skimping on the sun protection ingredient but only at the expense of quality and at the additional cost of a really annoyed customer. I will take my business elsewhere whenever possible.

Read the fine print. Even in small things, it really can matter.

No comments: