Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Nature of Lawyers

As primary election season begins, one of the noteworthy features of the political landscape is, as always, the number of lawyers who are reinventing themselves as politicians.

Since lawyers thrive on conflict, they make poor politicians when there are, as now, hard choices to be made. Anyone who doubts their love of conflict should consider this old adage:

The only lawyer in a small town will be poor. If a second one moves to town, both will soon be rich.

Lawyers can provide useful services but they are technicians rather than leaders and strategists. J.P.Morgan exactly characterized their nature when he said:

"I don't hire a lawyer to tell me what to do, I hire one to tell me how to do what I want to do."

Enough said!

No comments: