Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Living for ever

There seems to be a cultural imperative that demands that we live forever. Unfortunately, any attempt to do so risks making ourselves bored and boring - if not miserable - while we try.

In reality, I am of the persuasion that being rolled into the funeral home, totally worn out - but happy after an exciting ride - is the way to go. If I can manage to run out of money the day before I die, then I have succeeded at another level.

This joke, circulating around the Internet challenges the pretensions of the 'live forever at any cost' crowd:

I recently chose a new primary care physician. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing 'fairly well' for my age. A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him: "do you think I'll live to be 80?"

He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco or drink alcoholic beverages?'' "No," I replied: "and I don't do drugs, either."

Then he asked: "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?" I said: "No, my other doctor said that all red meat is unhealthy!''

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, fishing or relaxing on the beach?'' "No, I don't." I said.

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?'' "No," I said. "I don't do any of those things."

Then he l looked at me and asked: "Then why do you care about living to 80?"

Enjoy your holidays because life is for today!

No comments: