Search This Blog

Monday, October 13, 2008

Voting for Senator McCain

According to press reports and opinion polls, the McCain-Palin campaign is running well behind that of Obama-Biden. In a current Washington Post - ABC News poll, Senator Obama is ahead by 53 - 43 percent among "likely" voters. Even if that is reduced to account for the "Bradley" effect (the tendency for people to say they will vote for a black candidate while having no such intention), the prospects for Senator McCain's election are beginning to look poor.

Include me among the very disaffected McCain supporters although I am not yet on Senator Obama's side of the ledger.

I live in Virginia, which is now a swing state, so my vote should be important. I describe myself as an old fashioned Republican who believes in strong defense, economic conservatism, and social tolerance. Having some eduction as an economist, I have grave reservations about totally unfettered markets although substantial and intrusive government control is equally unpalatable.

If it is true, as reported in the current issue of Time Magazine, that Virginia GOP Party Chairman Jeffrey M. Frederick compared Senator Obama to Osama bin Laden, it is an outrage. (For those who have not seen the reports, Mr. Frederick is quoted as having said that Obama and bin Laden both have friends that bombed the Pentagon.)

Governor Palin, aside from her inexperience and lack of knowledge of both international and national affairs, is playing a major part - directly and as a cheerleader - in the barrage of negative attacks. That pit bulls, even those with lipstick, can be dangerous to their owners should be well known.

If Governor Palin were to withdraw from the ticket - no matter how feeble the excuse - the likelihood that I would vote for McCain would rise significantly. However, if Senator McCain really wants my vote, his campaign must drop the negative attacks and return to discussing policies. Leadership is Senator McCain's greatest strength and the primary reason to vote for him. Leadership also includes taking "pander" off the menu.

Maybe Senator McCain just doesn't care about my type of Republican. For the sake of our country, and the Republican party, I hope not.

At the moment, I am undecided but leaning slightly to McCain. Odds on my vote are are 25% McCain, 70% stay home, and 5% Obama.

No comments: