Search This Blog

Friday, August 15, 2008

Zero Tolerance

One of the worst ideas in recent history is the concept of zero tolerance.

Zero tolerance, when applied to minor crimes and vandalism, has some merit although tagging a rowdy kid with a criminal record may well wreck his future entirely.

In a zero tolerance world, I am not sure that I would have graduated from High School but, if I did, my teenage years would have included a lengthy detour through the criminal justice system.

A belt, applied to a naked rear end by a father, is now considered to be child abuse but has saved quite a few unruly kids from contact with the courts. The bruises on my rear end (Malacca canes and sneakers) have long ago faded but I still remember the lessons taught by them. I didn't like it at the time but now recognize the value.

In the military, the zero tolerance culture results in really poor promotion prospects for those found responsible for mistakes and errors - even by subordinates. That results in Majors doing Captain's jobs and Captains doing Lieutenant's jobs, and so on down the chain of command, lest a subordinate's mistake penalize the supervisor. The same problem exists in many businesses.

The big problem is that most people learn best from their mistakes. Without mistakes, there is little personal growth and minimal innovation.

The zero tolerance culture needs to be opposed and there are two really powerful statements that, if said sincerely and accepted by the boss, will contribute mightily to the greater good. They are:

“I don’t know but I will find out” and “I’m sorry. I was wrong; it won't happen again"

Both of these statements are a sign of strength - not weakness - and they need to be said and accepted more often.

No comments: