Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2008

Introduction

As we head into a USA election year, I am feeling overwhelmed by the shouting and slogans which seem to substitute for thought.

This blog is my response.

I hope to have a reasoned and civilized dialogue with any who care to join in and are willing to accept that it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Ronald Reagan understood this well.

I intend to skewer hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty. Living in the Washington DC area makes picking targets hard - there are so many.

I am a self described Liberal. But Liberal, using the 19th century definition, means that I believe in freedom but not license, the smallest possible government (more later on this subject) and social tolerance.

I also believe in a strong defense (Theodore Roosevelt had something when he said: "speak softly and carry a big stick") while attending to Dwight Eisenhower's warning about the military-industrial complex. Another description of my politics might be Goldwater Republican: strong defense, balanced budget, socially tolerant.

I have training as a scientist and as an economist. I am a business finance and general business consultant. I am a sceptic but not a cynic. I am totally curious and, when I was a kid, really wanted to know everything that could be known. Unfortunately I was born 200 years too late for that.

Remember that we are entitled to our own opinions but we are not entitled to our own "facts".

Let us begin...

No comments: